If you've ever driven your C5 Corvette at night on a very dark road, you know how poor the headlamps
are for spirited driving (or even just plain highway cruising). We found out that GM's European headlamps are superior to the US version, and we used them as the basis for this must-have upgrade kit that you will only find here at PFYC. Best of all, this is a plug and play upgrade, with no wire cutting or splicing, It works properly the first time and every time.
The difference between the US and European headlamp assemblies is hard to
show in pictures, but even pictures show a very marked improvement over the US
headlamps. The key differences between the two are as follows:
- US headlamps: cheap plastic that will melt with higher wattage bulbs
- European headlamps: glass and metal that will not melt
- US headlamps: spread light in a general, diffuse direction, with no upper cutoff to prevent glare to oncoming cars
- European headlamps: designed to meet Europe's stricter standards and have a sharp cutoff while the low beam is on, meaning you can increase wattage as much as you like without causing glare for oncoming drivers (make sure to aim them properly!)
- US headlamp low beam: concentrates most of its light at a single hot spot in front of the car
- European headlamp low beam: distributes the light output evenly across the entire frontal area of the car and out into the distance for even lighting. Also has a nice "rising edge" feature where the light output rises on the right side of the car for a much better view of the dark side of the road where signs, people, and animals may be hiding
- US headlamp high beam: just a brighter version of the low beam
- European headlamp high beam: completely different light pattern that spreads out like a spotlight for superb vision in the darkest areas
Only the highest quality components and manufacturing processes go into the various parts of our kit, so you need not worry about reliability. After all, you don't want to skimp on your headlights and have them fail on you when you need them the most. Installation takes less than 2 hours including proper aiming, and there are no wires to cut. Everything you need to install this kit is included (if you purchase a kit).
NOTE: The factory wiring in your Corvette is not sufficient to carry the high
current necessary for high wattage operation, making a heavy duty wiring harness
a necessity if you want to run higher wattage bulbs. If you don't plan to run
anything more than the factory wattage, the factory wattage kit will be
sufficient for your needs.
The factory wattage kit includes:
Two (2) GM European T84 Headlamp lenses
Two (2) GM 55/60W H4 bulbs
Two (2) 9005/9006 to H4 plug and play pigtail harnesses
To create your own high wattage kit, either source your own GM assemblies (which come with 55/60W bulbs from GM) or buy them from us below. Then buy the high wattage harness below. You'll need to source your own high wattage bulbs, however.
- 1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette C5 (All Models)